Tyler Chislett Memorial Fund
Tyler Chislett, a friend to the Bonnyville Health Centre, died from suicide in 2015. His death prompted the creation of the Tyler Chislett Memorial fund in memory of his life lived in the service of others.
To date, with your generosity, we have raised over $70,000
The Bonnyville Health Foundation is very encouraged by the community’s response to this fund. To date, with your generosity, we have raised over $70,000. In four years, this is what we have accomplished:
- Provide annual funding for supplies and educational materials for Mental Health Awareness and Wellness initiatives in the Bonnyville Health Centre such as: Bell Let’s Talk day in January, World Suicide Prevention Day in September, World Mental Health Day in October, and Mental Health Week in May.
- Provide financial support to the Child & Adolescent Mental Health Collaborative for professional development, emotional health and wellbeing conferences, educational materials, patient emotional support items, and other miscellaneous needs as requested.
- Ms. Ariel Haubrich M.ED Phych , presented “Stress, Drugs and Rock “N Roll”, to front line workers and other community stakeholders in health care at the Bonnyville Health Centre, in 2017.
- We were part of CTV Alberta Prime Time to showcase the Bonnyville Mental Health Committee’s work with youth in our area. The program created from these interviews aired Monday, January 16, 2017 as part of a week in the media about mental health. You can view the interview at this link.
- Our efforts were highlighted on Bell Let’s Talk and aired in January 25, 2017. This program is part of a national initiative to increase the dialogue about depression and mental health issues across Canada. It can also be viewed online. Check out Bell Let’s Talk http://letstalk.bell.ca/en/
- Mr. Allan Kehler presented “Goodbye Stress Hello Life” to front line workers and other community stakeholders in health care at the Bonnyville Health Centre in 2017.
- Funded our Mental Health Navigator to attend the Canadian Mental Health Association Alberta division “Now We Are Stronger” annual conference in Red Deer in May 2017.
- Funded a group of 12 from the Child and Adolescent Mental Health Collaborative Clinic & Bonnyville Health Centre to attend a Mental Health Professional Development Retreat in Edmonton in February 2018.
- We sent 15 staff members to the “Safe Talk Suicide Prevention Workshop” in Bonnyville.
- In Gala 2016 we raised $30,600.00, Gala 2017 we raised $13,850.00, and Gala 2018 we raised $6500.00.
- Our friends at Seven Lakes Oilfield and Eagle Pump & Compression, each donated Oilers tickets which we auctioned off on our Facebook page, which contributed $1000.00 to the fund.
- Funded speakers for the Mental Wellness Day for Youth conference at local Bonnyville schools.
- Funding for a local Physician to attend the PsychedUp CME course. This is a specialty course above and beyond any required education. It is designed to deepen the understanding on how to better diagnose mental illness and prescribe or switch medications.
- In September 2019, we funded $7652.29 for two of our staff members to attend the five day Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) Canada Basic Instructor course. This certification aims to improve mental health literacy, skills, and knowledge to better manage potential or developing mental health illnesses in those we serve.
- Funded $768.38 for the hospital’s Nurse Practitioner to participate in the Canadian Research and Education for the Advancement of Child Health (CanREACH) program, devoted to promoting paediatric mental health literacy in primary care through education and training services.